Study in UK Event
About Heriot-Watt University
Established in 1821 and the UK’s 8th oldest university, Heriot-Watt University is the world’s first mechanics institution. It is divided into 6 schools:-
- Infrastructure and Society
- Engineering and Physical Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Mathematical and Computer Sciences
- Textiles and Design
Due to the great performance and international focus on it’s education quality, Heriot-Watt has won an award from the Scottish Council of Development and Industry. Also, Times Higher Education named Heriot-Watt as “International University of the Year” in 2018.
The university has five campuses located in:-
- The Scottish Borders
If students wish to study abroad for a period of time, they are granted with inter-campus transfers or transfer through the Erasmus program. They would still be able to receive the same education quality while experiencing different cultures in different countries.
University Subjects Ranking
- #7 Chemistry
- #8 Mechanical Engineering
- #10 Civil Engineering
- #17 Building and town and country planning
- #22 Chemical Engineering
- #24 Business, Management & Marketing
- #24 Economics
- #25 Mathematics
- #36 Electronic & Electrical Engineering
(Guardian University League 2020)
Heriot-Watt is ranked in the world’s top #150 for Chemical Engineering and Civil Engineering, with Electrical Engineering placed in the world’s top #200.
10th in the UK for Civil Engineering (Guardian University League 2020)
Students will be able to learn the main Civil Engineering disciplines of structures, geotechnics, water engineering and transportation engineering, and provides students with the key skills and knowledge required to become chartered civil engineers.
- Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT)
- Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE)
- Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)
Do you know that Civil Engineering Industry constantly provides support to Heriot-Watt’s all Civil Engineering courses, which includes representatives from major multi-national employers offering advice, guidance and work placement opportunities? 75% of the students are employed in engineering professionals position within six months after graduating!
1st in Scotland and 8th in the UK for Mechanical Engineering (Guardian University League 2020)
This course ensures students to have a good technical understanding of the essential facts across the discipline, but also an awareness of specialist application of technology. Throughout the journey, they will acquire problem-solving skills and the ability to apply such skills in developing innovative solutions to society’s practical needs. At the end of the day, students should be able to meet the technical, societal and organisational/managerial challenges of mechanical engineering in the next 20 years and will have a role in determining policy and strategy in senior positions in a wide range of industries.
Mechanical Engineering graduates are equipped with multiple skills that fulfilled technical, managerial, financial and research roles. Hence, they are able to work in different industries such as f&b, aerospace, transport, energy, manufacturing and technology. Many find employment with notable companies such as Mercedes, Babcock Marine, Mclaren, Shell UK, Halliburton and QinetiQ.
This course gives students a sound understanding of both the chemical and process engineering fundamentals that they need to become a professional chartered engineer. In addition to a grounding in science, maths and engineering, the students will acquire practical abilities that are highly sought after by industry.
The labs have a full range of facilities including modern cooling, steam and compressed air systems. Electronics and programming have been integrated into their teaching, with Arduino and Labview being used as graphical programming platforms. Students gain a basic understanding of electronics in the first two years to allow them to use these platforms.
- Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) on behalf of the Engineering Council
Heriot-Watt has strong links with relevant industry, which helps graduates with their career progressions. It’s Industrial Advisory Board (IAB) is comprised of both alumni and company representatives, who provide input into the development of the degree programme. Thus, students are trained under programmes that stay relevant to the needs of industry and thus, prepared for the jobs of the future. 86% of those working are in a professional/managerial position six months after graduating.
BSc (Hons) Mathematical, Statistical and Actuarial Sciences
Mathematics at Heriot-Watt is ranked 1st in Scotland and 5th in the UK for overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2018.
This degree combines material from the Mathematics and Actuarial Science courses, together with specialist actuarial and statistical skills. It also takes a wide-ranging approach to other areas of advanced mathematics. Students will be able to gain:-
- Wide knowledge and understanding of modern mathematics
- Detailed understanding of certain specific areas of mathematics
- Ability to formulate and solve complex real-world problems in mathematical language
- Flexible and rigorous approach to problem solving
- Confidence in technical writing and communication
- Business, research and administrative professionals
- Business and public service associate professionals
- Information technology and telecommunications professionals
BSc (Hons) Computer Science
Heriot-Watt’s Computer Science Department has been delivering BCS-accredited programmes for more than 30 years. In this digitalised 21st century, computing is the key technology for all aspects in life. Almost everyone is touched by computers, either directly through work and home use of desktop systems, mobile devices, media players and toys, or indirectly through the multiple public and private agencies that depend on computers to deliver services to them.
This course teaches students the skills to design sound computer-based solutions to real-world problems, strong foundation in contemporary computer science theory and practice and specialised knowledge in a focused field. Students have the opportunity to learn in practical environment and be career ready.
- Computer Science BSc (Hons)
- Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) BSc (Hons)
- Computer Science (Cyber Security) BSc (Hons)
- Computer Science (Data Science) BSc (Hons)
- Computer Science (Games Programming) BSc (Hons)
- Computer Science (Software Engineering) BSc (Hons)
- Computer Systems BSc (Hons)
- Computer Systems (Games Programming) BSc (Hons)
- Information Systems BSc (Hons)
- Information Systems (Interaction Design) BSc (Hons)
- Information Systems (Internet Systems) BSc (Hons)
- Information Systems (Management) BSc (Hons)
- Software Engineering MEng